The racing world had been awaiting the new “mini“ Silver Arrows, Mercedes-Benz W165 with great suspense. Its debut was scheduled for the Grand Prix of Tripolis, at the race track of Mellaha, in May 1939. To hinder another German victory, a new rule restricted engines to only 1.5 liters. As a result, Mercedes-Benz had managed to develop and build this new race car within 6 months. In fact, the second car was only completed on the ship to Tripoli.
Hermann Lang in # 16 and Rudolf Caracciola in #24, were given the task of bringing Mercedes victory. Having dispatched all other competitors, the two turned the race into a personal duel, in which Lang prevailed. After the race, the two teammates refused to speak to each other.
This model is of the car Caracciola drove.